Growth Mindset

I had never heard of Carol Dweck's growth mindset before. However, I have always thought that intelligence wasn't something that people were innately born with, but rather it is developed. I tutored math briefly during high school. In that time, I realized that most of the problems students had were that they had no confidence in their own ideas. Therefore, despite being fully capable of completing the problems, they didn't think they could, so they didn't even try. Fostering a growth mindset seems to be a very beneficial thing to do.

Despite my leaning towards a growth mindset, during my time at OU I have felt a tendency for returning to a fixed mindset. Personally, the pressure of maintaining scholarships and finishing the required courses makes even major-specific classes seem like I am simply checking the next class off the list. I feel that learning about the growth mindset has pulled me out of a rut of my own manufacturing.

Reminds me that each person is different. (Source)

Comments

  1. Logan, like you, I had never heard of the growth mindset either. When you were describing how the students you tutored had no confidence in their skills, I can completely relate. I am that way in math for sure. You made a really good point about when we think like this we will not even try. I am guilty of that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Speed Cuber

Week 12 Story: When the World Changes